Replacing a RV roof air conditioner gasket is a fairly straight forward (dare I say easy!) project. There are no special tools required. As long as you are comfortable being on the roof of your RV, this project should be a good DIY project.
There are ten basic steps to replace the roof AC gasket:
- Remove plastic shroud over the roof AC unit.
- Remove the control knobs and the plastic cover on the RV ceiling.
- Remove the control unit (there will be a power cable and a control cable going to the control unit).
- Remove the four long bolts that hold the inside flange and the roof unit in place.
- Lift the roof unit out of the way (I placed mine on its side).
- Remove the old gasket and shims. Clean the roof and the bottom of the roof unit.
- Install the new gasket and shims.
- Replace the roof unit being careful not to damage the new gasket.
- Install the four long mounting bolts (do not over tighten), the control unit, the plastic cover, and the control knobs.
- Install the plastic shroud over the roof AC unit.
It took me about two hours to complete this project. The gasket is readily available from Amazon and numerous on-line RV supply stores. I purchased my gasket for about $30 at Rick’s RV Center in Murphy, North Carolina. It is certainly convenient to have a top-notch RV parts supplier just a few miles from our house.
Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions on how to make this relatively simple repair. To help you out, I created detailed instructions with photographs to guide you every step of the way. [pdf-embedder url=”http://www.adventurouswanderers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/How-To-Replace-A-RV-Roof-Air-Conditioner-Gasket.pdf”]